Ticket sales for this season’s Springboks home game will go on sale at noon on March 9 in a unique, coordinated launch.
The venues to host the Incoming Series against Wales and the Rugby Championship matches have aligned their sales dates for the first time.
Springbok affiliate, FNB, virtual ticket holders will have an “early bird” window to grab seats on March 7 and 8, with public sales opening March 9 at noon for most locations.
In the past, the host venues have launched their ticket sales in an ad hoc manner, but this year SA Rugby and the host unions have taken a coordinated approach given the importance of the season.
The announcement offers light at the end of a long dark tunnel as rugby supporters have been banned from attending Springbok’s South Africa home games for the past two years due to COVID-19 restrictions.
The last time a Springbok fan attended a test in South Africa was more than two and a half years ago – a 24-18 win over Argentina on August 19, 2019 at Loftus Versfeld.
The Springboks did not play at all in 2020 due to the pandemic and in 2021 the Lions Series and two Tests against Argentina in the Rugby Championship were played behind closed doors.
Return of fans
Fans will be allowed to return to matches in 2022 and the current limit of 2,000 per match is expected to be relaxed in the coming months.
- Boxing’s season opener against Wales at Loftus Versfeld (July 2) will be the first time in six weeks short of three years that home fans will be able to see the team live;
- It’s been four years since the Boks played at Bloemfontein (July 9 v Wales);
- And the third Test against Wales (July 16) will be the team’s first time playing in front of a crowd at Cape Town Satdium.
Those games will be followed by the double header against New Zealand – at Mbombela Stadium and Ellis Park respectively on August 6 and 13 – before the home game at Kings Park on September 24.
Tickets and prices
Tickets are priced across a wide range and all venues offer an entry-level price of R150 (R200 in Ellis Park) with top-priced tickets of R1500 for the delectable miniseries against the All Blacks.
Tickets for the three Wales Tests in Pretoria, Bloemfontein and Cape Town as well as the match against New Zealand in Johannesburg are available from Ticketpro by clicking here†
Tickets for the All Black Test in Nelspruit are available from Computicket by clicking here†
Tickets for the Rugby Championship match against Argentina in Durban in September will go on sale next month.
SA Rugby is hopeful that current crowd size restrictions will be eased in the coming weeks to bring to life the exciting prospect of the Boks walking out again in front of thousands of cheering fans.
Government health and safety requirements in force at the time of the matches are in place and rugby fans are urged to ensure they are vaccinated to guarantee access to the venues.
The full local test schedule with ticket price range is:
Incoming Series matches (kick-off times to be determined):
- Saturday, July 2: Springboks v Wales – Pretoria – R150 to R1,000
- Saturday 9th July: Springboks v Wales – Bloemfontein – R150 to R1,000
- Saturday July 16: Springboks v Wales – Cape Town – R150 to R1.250
Rugby match schedule (start times to be determined):
- Saturday August 6: Springboks v NZ – Nelspruit – R150 to R1500
- Saturday August 13: Springboks v NZ – Johannesburg – R200 to R1500
- Saturday September 24: Springboks v Argentina – Durban – R150 to R800