Here is your daily news update. Click the links below for the full story or visit our homepage for the latest news†
Daily news update March 10
Former Social Development Minister Bathabile Dlamini has been found guilty of perjury in her case involving the South African Social Security Agency (Sassa) 2017 crisis†
The Magistrate of Johannesburg delivered his verdict on Wednesday, with suspended ANC Secretary General Ace Magashule, former North West Premier Supra Mahumapelo, uMkhonto we Sizwe Military Association (MKMVA) spokesman Carl Niehaus and ANC member Tony Yengeni all in court to support Dlamini.
After the proceedings were postponed due to technical difficulties, magistrate Betty Khumalo issued her ruling, saying the state had “succeeded” in proving “beyond reasonable doubt” that Dlamini was lying under oath.
Public defender Busisiwe Mkhwebane has suffered another defeat in court after her cancellation request was rejected, regarding President Cyril Ramaphosa’s 2017 ANC presidential campaign.
“The Constitutional Court has considered this request for dissolution. It has concluded that the request should be rejected because no case for dissolution has been filed,” the verdict reads.
Former President Jacob Zuma has approached the Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA) in another bid to remove state attorney Billy Downer from his corruption case.
Jacob Zuma Foundation said Wednesday night that Zuma would petition the rejection of his plea to remove Downer and the court’s refusal of his request to introduce new evidence.
This came after the Pietermaritzburg Supreme Court last month rejected its request for leave to appeal the decision over prosecutor Billy Downer’s attorney.
He said Zuma’s application had no chance of success.
A suspended Bolt executive charged with rape is expected to face more charges after more complainants come forward, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) confirmed on Tuesday.
The 25-year-old male suspect – who cannot be named at this time – appeared shortly before Randburg District Court after his arrest last month on charges of kidnapping, rape and robbery with aggravated circumstances.
NPA regional spokesman Phindi Mjonondwane said four more charges of rape were expected to be added to his charges after two more complainants came forward.
Gauteng’s Department of e-Government has allocated a one-off amount of R1.1 billion to the provincial Ministry of Health until March next year.
This is to retain a number of existing employees who are helping in the fight against the Covid-19 pandemic.
Gauteng e-Government MEC Nomantu Nkomo-Ralehoko announced this on Wednesday during its dining of the provincial government’s budget of R153 billion for 2022/23 at the provincial legislature.
Although the province had seen a significant drop in the number of new Covid-19 cases and a drop in hospital admissions in recent weeks, Nkomo-Ralehoko said the R1 billion would enable the Ministry of Health to take part of the existing capacity of human resources.
Searches are underway for the next chairman of South Africa’s Independent Electoral Commission (IEC) as current chairman Glen Mashinini’s seven-year term ends in April.
An interview panel chaired by acting Chief Justice Raymond Zondo on Tuesday released a shortlist of 12 candidates to be interviewed next month for the position of IEC chairman.
The panel, made up of the Public Protector and chairs of the Commission for Gender Equality and the South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC), was established in terms of Section 6 of the Election Commission Actto assist President Cyril Ramaphosa and Parliament in the nomination of the next IEC President.