Categories
Business Tech World

Fraudulent tax claims and Malema back in court



Here is your daily news update. Click the links below for the full story or visit our homepage for the latest news

Daily news update 04 March

Sars discovers billions in fraudulent taxpayer claims

The South African Revenue Services (Sars) said it has uncovered R30 billion in fraudulent claims from taxpayers.

This was revealed on Thursday by Sars Commissioner Edward Edward Kieswetter, when he unpacked the 2022/23 national budget presented to parliament last Wednesday by Finance Minister Enoch Godongwana.

The tax commissioner said Sars processed nearly three and a half million VAT returns in 2022.

Kieswetter said the non-compliance was due to negligence and the public is deliberately trying to defraud Sars.

“Three and a half million VAT returns, if we look at that, it has loan yields of R266 billion. If we had nothing to do, we would pay out 266 billion Rand to taxpayers.

Used cartridge linked to gun seized by Malema bodyguard’s company, court hears

Julius Malema's firearms case postponed after prosecutor fired
EFF leader Julius Malema and co-indicted Adriaan Snyman in the East London Magistrate’s Court for their illegal firearms dismissal case in Mdantsane, Eastern Cape, in 2018. Photo: Screengrab.

A SA Police Service (SAPS) ballistics expert has confirmed that a used cartridge has been found at Mdantsane’s Sisa Dukashe Stadium after Leader of the economic freedom fighters Julius Malema is said to have fired a pistol into the air during a meeting there in 2018, from one of the firearms seized by his bodyguard’s company.

Lieutenant Colonel Mandisi Mgwadleka took the position of the East London Magistrate’s Court on Monday as the trial of Malema, who is facing criminal charges along with his bodyguard Adriaan Snyman in connection with the incident, entered its third day.

He told the court he could have linked a used cartridge found by a cleaner after the rally to a Norinco rifle seized by Snyman’s company.

Staff employees of the City of Joburg threaten to go to court over the threat of dismissal

'Crime is crime, whoever is involved,' says Phalatse on charges against ANC/EFF councilors
Johannesburg Mayor Mpho Phalatse. Photo: Neil McCartney

Employees of the city of Joburg who are fired because of their fixed-term contracts that have been converted to permanent by the previous government are considering taking the city to court.

At least 130 workers said they had to cope after the city sent letters to them informing them of a decision to revoke their tenure, following a council resolution last week. The city deemed the converted contracts an illegal act by the previous ANC-led mayor’s committee, which it said had no authority to do so.

The letters, seen by The The Vanir-exoduswarned that the appointments from permanent to permanent contracts constituted an “unlawful satisfaction in the law” and further called for “employees’ assistance to limit such continued employment” to prevent potential corruption.

No more backdoor sales after court win

No more backdoor sales after court win
Court clerks could issue foreclosure orders (to sell repossessed properties at sheriff’s auctions) without any judicial oversight until the practice was declared unconstitutional by the Constitutional Court in 2011. Image: Moneyweb

Lawyers representing consumers facing repossession have applauded a recent Gauteng High Court case that barred lawyers attempting to evade court proceedings by selling these homes for less than their market value.

Judge Fisher’s February 2022 ruling ended the practice of bank lawyers approaching judges in chambers in an attempt to circumvent the required reserve price (floor price).

Until 2018, banks often sold repossession houses at well below market price, raising suspicions that syndicates operating in the banks and sheriff’s offices were manipulating these sales so that they could pick them up for a song. Some were sold for as little as R10often leaving the defaulting borrower with a huge outstanding debt to the bank, and with no chance of receiving any equity that has accumulated in the house.

Zulu Throne Remains Vacant Until Certain Cultural Rituals Are Performed

King Misuzulu – Photo Twitter

The Zulu Royal Family says that until the core of the royal family and the Zulu Royal Council sit down to appoint a new king, the AmaZulu throne will remain vacant.

The family took note of the verdict handed down on Wednesday by the Pietermaritzburg Supreme Court, which gave the green light to the… coronation of Prince Misuzulu kaZwelithini as the new king of the Zulu nation.

Judge Isaac Madondo dismissed a petition filed by late Zulu King Goodwill Zwelithini’s brother, Prince Mbonisi Zulu, to stop the coronation, after ruling that Prince Misuzulu was the “undisputed heir to the throne.”

Judge Madondo also dismissed with charges an application from Zwelithini’s first wife, Queen Sibongile Dlamini-Zulu, claiming 50% of the king’s estate.

Treasury still undecided on demolition as e-toll price hikes take effect

Government still insists on the user pays principle
On February 28, 2021, an e-toll portal will be displayed along the N1 at Roodepoort. Photo: Michel Bega

Amid uncertainty about whether electronic toll be scrapped or not, drivers in Gauteng who do pay their e-toll account will have to pay more after a price increase.

The South African National Road Agency Limited (Sanral) announced last week that it will adjust annual toll rates, including those of e-tolls.

The new rates – effective from Tuesday 1 March – have been raised by 5% in line with the consumer price index (CPI).

The increases were: Official Gazette and published earlier in February by Transport Minister Fikile Mbalula.

ALSO READ: Daily News Update: Bosasa Corruption, SA’s UN Vote and Mantashe Disputes Zondo’s Report

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.