The South African National Under-17 was given a free pass to the next round of the U-17 FIFA Women’s World Cup qualifiers after Kenya’s suspension by the world football governing body last week.
Bantwana has been in camp since last Thursday as the team prepares for the crucial first-round encounter against the Kenyans in the first round of qualifiers, which was to be played at home in the first week of March, while the return leg was scheduled for the weekend of March 19.
However, Kenya, which has been suspended by FIFA along with Zimbabwe for government meddling in football, has given Bantwana a step in the right direction towards qualifying for the junior world football spectacle.
FIFA made the decision to ban the two countries the same day the South Africans registered for the camp.
During the suspension, both countries will receive no funding from FIFA and will not be allowed to play in matches organized by FIFA or the Confederation of African Football (Caf).
“Without prejudice to any investigation by the national authorities or other judicial bodies, the FIFA Council has also decided to immediately suspend the Football Kenya Federation and the Zimbabwe Football Association for undue interference by a third party,” said FIFA President Gianni Infantino in a statement. a statement.
“They both know what needs to be done to be re-admitted or to lift the suspension.”
Despite the team getting a walkover, the team will remain in the camp giving head coach Siphiwe Dludlu more time to build her squad and they played a friendly against the University of Johannesburg women’s team beating the varsity 6-5 last Sunday.
“We have received word of Kenya’s suspension but we remain active and in the camp as we look to build a formidable squad to qualify for the World Cup,” the Banyana coach told Safa media .
The World Under 17 Championship will take place in India in October.