As cliché as it may sound, when it comes to the Soweto derby between Orlando Pirates and Kaizer Chiefs, it’s a very different ball game.
It’s also been said that form doesn’t matter and it’s all about who wants it most in the day and below we look at the factors that can influence this cracking game.
– The Buccaneers have suffered just one defeat in their last six games in all competitions. The motivation for Bucs should be to keep up the momentum as they also dropped points in their last league game when they played a goalless draw with Cape Town City.
– Bandile Shandu was impressive for the Buccaneers and could well be the player who can influence this game. He scored three goals in as many games.
– Revenge is what the Buccaneers will strive for after losing the last derby. They will go into this tie and try to prove a point that the Chiefs loss was a fluke.
– Amakhosi has beaten Pirates in their last three encounters and they should be motivated to take a fourth win.
– The influence of Keagan Dolly, who scored six goals and four assists in his first season with the club. The Bafana Bafana player was the reason Amakhosi defeated Pirates in the final game after scoring a brace.
– Stuart Baxter appears to be a lucky charm for Chiefs when it comes to the derby, and it is clear from his latest press conference how much the 68-year-old knows his rivals. In the last 10 Soweto derbies he has been involved in, he has beaten Pirates four times, drawn five and only tasted defeat once.