Categories
Business Tech World

More victims come forward against Bolt driver accused of rape



A suspended Bolt executive charged with rape is expected to face more charges after more complainants come forward, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) confirmed on Tuesday.

Bolt driver charged with rape

The 25-year-old male suspect – who cannot be named at this time – appeared shortly before Randburg District Court after his arrest last month on charges of kidnapping, rape and robbery with aggravated circumstances.

NPA regional spokesman Phindi Mjonondwane said four more charges of rape were expected to be added to his charges after two more complainants came forward.

“We, as the NPA, can confirm that two more complainants have come forward, and so we expect four more charges to be added to the current indictment form,” Mjonondwane said in an out-of-court media interview.

cost

The man is currently facing two charges of rape, two of kidnapping and two of theft.

Mjonondwane said the charges would rise to 10 counts if kidnapping and rape charges are added to his indictment.

During his court hearing on Tuesday, the state revealed preliminary information about his The Vanir-exodusship and residential address in preparation for his bail application.

However, the investigating officer still has to verify the information with the Ministry of the Interior.

ALSO READ: Bolt driver charged with rape, kidnapping and theft in court

Mjonondwane said the state would oppose his bail request.

“The state will oppose his bail, we will present our reasons in court, but the accused faces serious charges. And as an NPA, we have an obligation to ensure the protection of our women and children,” she said.

The case is expected to resume on March 15.

Online petition against Bolt

The story of the arrested Bolt driver caught a lot of attention on social media last week after a woman took to Twitter on Friday about her boyfriend’s horrific ordeal of being sexually assaulted, allegedly by a Bolt driver.

This led to several other personal stories from female passengers of alleged incidents of sexual assault by Bolt drivers.

bolt driver demo
Supporters of the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) demonstrate before the Randburg Magistrates Court against gender-based violence, March 8, 2022, when a Bolt e-hailing driver appears accused of raping four women. Photo: Michel Bega

An online petition against Bolt has since been launched and circulated on social media, demanding that the e-hailing service improve monitoring of its drivers.

The petition has gathered more than 100,000 signatures and is still counting.

Bolt said the driver would only be reinstated at the platform if he is fully acquitted by the courts.

Meanwhile, EFF’s deputy secretary general Poppy Mailola and a group of supporters of the party protested outside the Randburg Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday against the driver charged with assault.

bolt driver demo
Supporters of the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) demonstrate before the Randburg Magistrates Court against gender-based violence, March 8, 2022, when a Bolt e-hailing driver appears accused of raping four women. Photo: Michel Bega

compiled by Thapelo Lekabe

READ NOW: Bolt SA offered sexual abuse victims food stamps and free rides for a month

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.