The parents of a six-year-old girl from the East Rand are demanding answers after their daughter died at school last month after allegedly choking on a grape.
Amkelekile Mokoena’s parents are demanding answers from MEL International School about their alleged negligence that led to their daughter’s sudden death. sowetan reported on Friday.
According to the publication, Amkelekile’s father, Manyoni, received a phone call on Monday informing him that his child had collapsed and was rushed to Bertha Gxowa Hospital. He then called her mother, Lovely Mokwena, to tell her to rush to the hospital.
When they arrived at the hospital, they were immediately called to an office where they received news that their daughter had no pulse when she arrived at the hospital. The news came as a shock to the parents, as their daughter was never ill.
An autopsy report apparently confirmed that a grape was found in her throat, causing her to choke. A teacher at the school told the parents that their daughter had vomited during lunch. The grape was reportedly packed in her lunch box, among other things.
The parents are now demanding an answer from the school as to why they were not called immediately when the incident occurred.
They also want to know why their daughter was not taken to infirmary or why the school did not provide first aid when they saw her gasping for breath.
Amkelekile’s parents have opened a case with the Germiston Police Department and they are hoping to get answers from a police investigation.
Curated by Kgomotso Pooko