If you’re craving something other than a stew or lasagna, this hearty ground beef-filled gemstone squash recipe could become your new favorite.
Plus, it’s the perfect comfort meal for a cold and rainy evening.
Instead of serving your gem squash as a side dish with a protein, make the gem squash a whole meal by adding a savory ground beef filling with white sauce and cheddar cheese.
If you’re trying to eat less meat, you can replace the ground beef with a canned sweetcorn filling and a dollop of cheese on top.
Your family will love this delicious, savory, ground beef-filled pumpkin squash recipe:
- 4 gemstone gourds, halved, seeds removed and cooked
- 15 ml oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, finely grated
- 500 g lean minced meat
- 75 ml tomato puree
- 125 ml beef stock
- 15 ml mixed herbs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 30 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- 250 ml white sauce
- 125 ml Cheddar, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Heat the oil and fry the onion and garlic until soft.
- Add the carrots and ground beef and cook until cooked through.
- Add the tomato paste, stock, mixed herbs and spices. Simmer over low heat until most of the moisture has evaporated. Add the parsley.
- Place the gem gourds in a baking dish and spoon the mincemeat mixture into their cavities.
- Spoon over the white sauce and sprinkle with grated cheddar.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Serve them warm with a salad.
Hints and Tips:
- Break the minced meat easily with a whisk while roasting.
- Place the pumpkin halves upside down on a microwave-safe plate. Add 30 ml of water. Microwave over high heat for 12 – 15 minutes until cooked through.
This recipe was found on lancewood.co.za†