Categories
Business Tech World

Swimmer’s remains found after shark attack in Sydney



Australian police said they found human remains in the water on Wednesday after a horrific shark attack on a Sydney beach.

It was the first deadly unprovoked shark attack since 1963.

Authorities have closed the surrounding beaches for 24 hours as they patrolled in search of the predators.

A man fishing from nearby rocks told ABC that he saw a man in a wetsuit being dragged underwater by a large shark off Little Bay’s eastern beach.

“When he went down, there was so much splashing,” the man said.

“It was terrible. I’m trembling,” he said, describing an attack that lasted several seconds.

“I keep on vomiting. It’s very, very disturbing,” the man told ABC. “He just went down for a swim, enjoying the day, but that shark took his life.”

New South Wales Police said officers investigating the reported attack found human remains in the water.

“An investigation into the swimmer’s death is ongoing and Little Bay Beach is closed as officers continue to search the area,” they said in a statement.

New South Wales emergency services dispatched a rescue helicopter and four ambulances after being warned of the shark’s attack.

“Unfortunately, this person had suffered catastrophic injuries as a result of the attack and paramedics were unable to do anything when we arrived at the scene,” said NSW ambulance inspector Lucky Phrachanh.

The Randwick local government area closed its beaches for 24 hours and put up signs warning people away as part of “standard operating procedures” after a fatal shark attack.

During that time, lifeguards will patrol the beaches, looking for sharks, it said.

“Little Bay is normally such a quiet, beautiful place that families enjoy,” said Randwick Mayor Dylan Parker.

‘Hang out’

“To lose someone in a shark attack like this is horrifying. We are all in shock.”

Police said they would work with the state’s Department of Primary Industries to investigate the circumstances of the swimmer’s death.

A report would be prepared for the state coroner.

There were three fatal shark attacks across Australia last year, including two in New South Wales, according to a database compiled by the Taronga Conservation Society.

No fatalities had been recorded in the state so far, the database showed.

The last fatality from a shark bite in Sydney was in 1963 by a person who was bitten by a bull shark while “standing in the water,” a Taronga spokeswoman said.

Police urged beachgoers to follow Surf Life Saving NSW’s safety guidelines.

The organization recommends that people swim only in supervised areas on the beach, avoid swimming at dawn, dusk and at night, stay away from schools of baitfish, and stay away from estuaries or murky waters.

A New South Wales government SharkSmart app alerts swimmers and surfers in real time when a shark is detected nearby.

New South Wales relies on a series of listening stations, drumlines that detect the predators, shark nets and drones to spot sharks to protect people in the water.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.